Last year, Europe’s gambling market revenue was stabilised with 8% above pre-pandemic levels, following the reopening of land-based gambling venues, according to the annual end-of-year market data report published by the European Gaming and Betting Association (EGBA) in partnership with H2 Gambling Capital.
The report “European Online Gambling – Key Figures 2022” says that Europe’s gambling market revenue increased by 23% to €108,5bn gross gaming revenue (GGR) in 2022, driven by a significant rebound in land-based gambling revenue following the reopening of casinos and betting shops. After the widespread shutdown of land-based gambling venues and subsequent declines in Europe’s gambling market revenue in 2020 and 2021, gambling market revenue stabilised this year at 8% above 2019’s pre-pandemic revenue levels.
The steady growth in online gambling revenue continued in 2022, reaching €38,2bn GGR, an increase of 8% compared to 2021. Meanwhile, land-based gambling revenue rebounded significantly to €70,3bn GGR this year, a growth of 34% compared to 2021 levels, but remained down 6% compared to 2019 revenues.
The annual report covers the EU-27 and UK gambling markets. For the last year the most popular online gaming product in Europe was the casino (39%), followed by sports betting (35%), lottery (18%), poker (4%), bingo (3%), and others (1%). The statistics show that 53% of online bets in Europe were made through mobile phones and tablets, the other 47% are made from desktop computers.
With the assistance of: https://www.egba.eu/